Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Love.

[Sorry if this doesn’t make any sense, I just needed to vent]
I’ve never said “I love you”, in a romantic sense, to anyone. Not because I can’t or don’t want to. That is certainly not it at all. It’s just that to me, those three little words carry such weight, they are so impactful, and people these days don’t seem to remember that. They just toss these words out to anyone they maybe “dating” or “talking to”. They don’t understand the true meaning of those words.
There is a difference between “being in love” & “love someone” that I feel is much too often misunderstood. But they go hand-in-hand. When you ‘fall in love’ that is an emotion, emotions fade. Like any other emotion, they usually only last a little while. It’s that beginning of a relationship stage, the butterflies and fireworks. But then when that all starts to fade(and it could take years) - but when it does happen, people say Oh, well we just fell out of love. No, that is not what happened, you just thought that the emotion of ‘being in love’ would last forever. You didn’t realize that love is a choice.
When you say “I love you” to someone, you’re not just saying that you have extremely strong feelings for that person, you’re saying that even when the ‘butterflies’ and ‘fireworks’ aren’t there anymore, you’re going to love them anyway, you’re going to be there for them no matter what. Even when they annoy you, even when they make you angry beyond belief. You made them that promise.
To “love” someone is a choice. You choose to love someone no matter what. Yes, you’re going to get mad, have fights, be suuuper annoyed. Even when they might not look as good, even after 50 years. EVEN when it seems like you know each other ‘to well’ or ‘are bored’. You still choose to love that person because you know that everyone has faults, even you. And since you’re not perfect, and that person is choosing to love you, then why wouldn’t you choose to do the same for them?
These two go hand-in-hand because you do have to have the emotion of love, the butterflies and such. That’s called attraction. But after that all fades, then there’s the choice, the choice that you have to make to love that person unconditionally and without expecting anything in return.
This is why love is not something I take lightly. Because when I do give my heart away, I want it to be with someone who wants to choose me. Someone who isn’t going to hesitate, or have to think about it. Someone who knows right away, that I am the one they are meant to be with, even though I’m not perfect. And when I do find that guy, I’m going to give him my whole heart and absolutely nothing less, because I have so much to give and I can’t wait to share my love with that person.<3

No comments: